WoodMizer LT-10 Review

Home Forums Forestry Forum Sawmill Forum WoodMizer LT-10 Review

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

[attachment=5][attachment=6]My Dad bought a new Woodmizer LT-10 early last summer 2012 and we have been mostly cutting third growth redwoods with it on the coast of Northern California. Overall it has been a good mill and we have been impressed with how well it cuts and the quality of the lumber it produces. My uncle is a millwright at a large commercial sawmill and he commented that our boards look straighter than a lot of the ones that come off the saw at their mill. My Dad used to cut a little lumber with a chainsaw mill, just for his own use, and now after using the LT-10 he says he should have bought the WoodMizer years ago. So much better than the chainsaw in many ways.

There were a few problems in getting the mil set up. First it took us a little while to figure out why the carriage wouldn’t fit on the track. Then we figured out that the factory attached the carriage wheel assembly on the wrong side of the mounts on the carriage. It was a little bit of a job unbolting it and putting it back on the right side, but once on the right side it fit fine.

They also didn’t include the nuts to mount the engine. They included the bolts and washers, but no nuts. I found some laying around in the garage that fit so it all worked out.

We got the smaller Kohler engine and it would be nice if the exhaust could be redirected differently since sometimes I end up breathing more exhaust than I would like. Not much more than running a chainsaw though.

We started out just setting it up on the ground without mounting it to anything but had a lot of problems with logs knocking it around while loading it and it was hard to keep it level. So I put some wood ties under the track and bolted it down and it is now solid.

Despite the couple problems we had, I would recommend the mill.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I mounted my lt10 an an old 24 foot travel trailer frame and axles. ‘This way I get to have the inexpensive mill and it is just as portable now as the expensive ones. I took some boards and made walkways on each side of the mill, that I cut with the mill. That is a must for waking with the mill to make the cuts. I left it open under the mill so sawdust and debris can fall through. Some sawdust accumulates on the walk way but it’s not a big deal to brush it off once in a while. I have a tractor to load the logs so the extra height from being on a trailer is not a problem. If you don’t have a way to load that could be a problem since this mill is meant to be on the ground where you can roll the logs on. Other than that I think mounting it on a trailer like this is the way to go.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Billsaw can you please post pictures?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.