Used Farmi Logging Winch

Home Forums Forestry Forum Logging Forum and Equipment Forum Used Farmi Logging Winch

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been looking for a used farmi logging winch. I would like a new one but I won’t use it enough to justify the price. I am looking for advice on what to look for and how to know if a used one is still good or wore out. What are the parts that wear out and how can I tell if one still has a lot of life left and is a good buy or not. Are the parts expensive and are they easy enough to replace?

Thanks, Jay

Anonymous
    Inactive

We have been using a Farmi PTO winch for around 20 years. We have wore out several cables but have never had to replace anything else. I have always wondered when the clutch would wear out and have expected it to but it is still working strong. The only thing that is no longer working is the brake that keeps the drum from totally free wheeling. This is needed with a stiff new cable to keep it from unravelling and making a tangled mess. It works fine this way since the cable is old and flexible. Actually it is better this way since it makes the cable easier to pull out. But it is going to be a problem when it is time for a new cable.

I don’t know how easy that is to fix. The drum and everything is all contained in a spot where it doesn’t look like it would be easy to work on, or even see what may be wrong in there. It may be a simple fix, I just haven’t looked into how to do it.

If the seller can show that it works fine, I would say go ahead and buy it if the price is right. In my experience, these winches are very durable.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Michael wrote:
    The only thing that is no longer working is the brake that keeps the drum from totally free wheeling.

I have a farmi winch and have not had this problem but I think I remember reading that there is a way to adjust the brake. I dont know for sure or how to do it but it may be something to look into. I have not had to work on mine either but I always understood all the parts are simple and supposed to be east to work on and replace.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.