Husky 357XP leaking oil

Home Forums Forestry Forum Chainsaw Reviews and Chainsaw forum Husky 357XP leaking oil

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a Husky 357XP and it has been a great saw. The only problem I have with it is it leaks bar oil all over the place. It started as a drip that would leave a small puddle if I left it somewhere for a while. Now it has gotten much worse and makes a mess all over the garage floor, the back of my truck or anywhere I put it. Does anyone know of a way to fix this?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have you checked to see if it is leaking around the oil fill plug? I had a Stihl 044 that was leaking oil the way you described. I assumed it was coming from the oil mechanisms but it took the dealer to point out that it was coming from the fill plug. Instead of closing it hand tight I started tightening it with the bar wrench and the leak stopped. The thing is when they leak like that and become an oily mess, it can be hard to tell where the oil is coming from and he thin film of oil dripping down the side of the body is not always easy to see.

I had a Husky 357XP that also leaked oil like yours after it had a lot of hours on it but it was not leaking from the plug. It was coming from somewhere under the clutch cover. I eventually traded the saw in after some other things broke so I never did look into the leak. The fuel plug leaked though and it uses the same type of plug that the oil tank uses so I would imagine the oil plug could leak too. My Husky 254 leaked oil the same way from under the clutch cover when it got some age on it. I don’t have anything useful to say about that but checking the plug is a place to start.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Leaking bar oil is pretty common with Huskys. It could be the plug as mentioned before or a crack in the body or the rubber oil delivery hose is known to crack and leak. If the oil tank vent is plugged and the oil tank is pressurizing that can cause the oil to keep flowing after it is shut off. If it is leaking from the fill plug it can be easy to detect where it is coming from, otherwise you will have to dig in under the clutch and find out where of several places it could be coming from.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have never had a Husky that didn’t leak a little bar oil after it got some age on it. I always just learned to live with it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.